Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Sew-a-Bration of Womanhood - a top (and scarf) for ME!


It was with excitement (and a little bit of trepidation) that I recently responded to a call for bloggers to participate in the Sew-A-Bration of Womanhood hosted by two fabulous blogs: the Shaffer Sisters and Call Ajare.  

My body has changed a BUNCH over the years - getting married, having two kiddos, moving our family a few times.... I am no longer the woman I was in college or high school - and my body is no longer the same.  But that is NOT a bad thing - I have to remind myself of this on a regular basis.

Truly embracing our imperfections - in our work, our life, ourselves - is something that I think most women find to be challenging.  But when we do?  The power of that acceptance and the confidence it brings can and will create change!


Recently I challenged myself to make some changes - changes I'm very proud of that are helping to make my outward image reflect what's inside.

So this blog series - centered around celebrating womanhood and bodies of all shapes and sizes - could not have come at a better time.


Inspired by a few friends who do a GREAT job sewing clothes for themselves I decided this was the perfect opportunity to give it a go!

I picked out the Greenstyle Lacy Slope Tank because I loved the versions I saw during their recent blog hop and thought it looked like something that was a) simple enough for me to wear everyday b) simple enough for me to attempt as my first adult clothing item c) had enough style and shape that it would look professional


Here's a bit of honesty:  My body shape..... I'd say it's a "round hourglass" (is that even a shape?  did I just make that up?) - My "girls".... they're big.  Two pregnancies have created some nice curvy hips..... and my belly is my "problem" area - always fluffier than I'd like.

So when I picked my size, I followed the largest measurement - my chest.  After three different shirts... and many photos.... I realized this created a top that was far too big for me.  I ended up taking at least 1" off of each side seam - probably more.  I just kept checking fit and adjusting!  I also decided I wasn't loving the hi-lo look for me (love it on others, though!) - so I got creative and added an accent band to the base of the shirt after cutting it at the highest point (in the front).


The coordinating infinity scarf was a must because I love them and because we live in Washington and still only see the sun every once in a while!  {these photos were snapped quickly between a few BIG rain storms!}

I made it by cutting a piece of knit 8" x WOF.  Then I just used a french seam for the short ends - and wa-lah - cute, lightweight infinity scarf!

All in all - I'm excited to have sewn something for ME - and really do see myself wearing this top on a regular basis.  It's comfy, it's cute, and it IS pretty cool to know that I made it.  BUT..... I have a feeling it will be a while until I attempt more adult clothes sewing!  I'll stick to fun bags / kitchen towels / aprons / quilts for me!


Fabric info: All fabrics purchased at Joann Fabrics - pinky red stripe is from their Doodles line - the other two were from the knit basics / red tag clearance section.

Here's a peek at the "real" me - or the me who is so DONE taking pictures and appreciative of a hilarious husband who is telling me to "work it!"

A big thank you to Shaffer Sisters and Call Ajare for getting me to step outside my comfort zone - and in front of the camera - for this empowering blog series!


Want to see more?  Here are the blogs that will be participating in this sew-a-bration!

4 comments:

Jessi Berry said...

That top is so cute on you!!! You did an excellent job!

Unknown said...

You look fantastic and I'm so excited that you are working more with knits!

Sewing Sober said...

You did such a great job! You look great!

Kathy said...

I think the top is cute and you should sew more!